The Partnership for a Better Energy Future (PBEF) this week sent a letter to EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy to detail issues with the proposed carbon standards for existing power plants. PBEF, of which AFPM is a member, expressed five concerns:
• The rule will increase electricity prices and negatively impact the economy;
• The method for calculating the proposed standards exceed EPA’s statutory authority;
• EPA has failed to demonstrate that the targets and “building blocks” are technologically achievable;
• The rule sets bad precedent for future regulation of other sectors; and
• There has been inadequate public engagement and the agency is adhering to a rushed and arbitrary rulemaking deadline
Bottom line – go back to the drawing board.