It is that time of year again – the graduation season. Whether you are graduating from high school, community college or a four-year university, are you considering the fuel and petrochemical industries for your career? If the answer is “yes” then you are making a fantastic decision (I say this as someone who has been in the petrochemical or related industry her entire career). If the answer is “no” or “not sure” then let’s chat as these industries provides a huge range of outstanding career options based on your interest and education.
The industries supported by AFPM employ millions of people with high-paying jobs around the globe. In addition, these industries currently have hundreds of thousands of openings – we need workers like you NOW!
First off, I strongly encourage you to look at AFPM’s workforce development website. The websites provides information to answer questions you might have including:
– Range of career paths including:
- Skilled craft jobs (e.g., welders, electricians, ironworkers)
- Technical jobs (e.g., engineering, chemists, technicians)
- Administrative jobs (e.g., accounting, human resources, information technology)
- Other jobs (e.g., commercial driver, painter, security officer, analyst)
– Various career resources
– What type of education is needed such as:
- Educational opportunities including certificate programs/apprenticeships, two-year schools and four-year schools
- Veterans based programs
- Federal and state resources
– Industry Opportunities including information about which AFPM member companies are hiring right now
To quote the Dr. Seuss book Oh, The Places You’ll Go!, “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.” Students, I strongly encourage you to steer yourself towards the fuel and petrochemical industries. We welcome you with open arms.